Monsoon Madness

Jul 13, 2010
After a long year, the monsoon has finally returned and I’m sure all of you are well prepared with your umbrellas, raincoats and rain boots. It’s a great season for many reasons and my favourite season as well. As rain begins to fall from the sky, I get lost in a world of imagination and nostalgia. When I see the first drop hit the ground, I quickly get up and rush to my window and start watching the amazing act of nature, letting the hours pass staring at the drops falling down.

When I was in school, I always welcomed the monsoon that came along with my school holiday-giving me the chance to indulge myself in the daily downpour. I have loved the monsoon since I was a small child. I used to enjoy fishing in front of my house in the drainage line, but where those fish came from is still a mystery to me. It was fun making paper boats and racing against my friends. I sometimes wish I could get back those wonderful days. There are certainly many reasons to appreciate and enjoy the monsoon; however, there are some disadvantages that come along with the season as well. As the roads are cleansed by the heavy showers, the rivers end up more polluted than normal. Some people may catch a cold. And the puddles of water are a burden for those trying to get to college, school or office in time.

The main drawback to the monsoon is the need to dodge huge splashes of dirty water as cars zip through puddles. Each morning, it takes 30 minutes to get dressed and ready: your hair is combed, shirt ironed and shoes shined. But within five minutes, you receive a splash and your 30 minutes of effort have gone in vain, most likely making you late for your class or work. The car driver, safely inside the protection of his vehicle has long gone and you are a mess, so what can you do? You could try to note down the vehicle number but that is worthless; all you can do is wipe what dirt you can from yourself and keep walking.

If you have been lucky enough to escape this experience, be careful, with the monsoon upon us, there are puddles everywhere. It is Nepal and on almost every road there are puddles waiting for vehicles to splash through like ammunition waiting to be loaded. As soon as you reach an area with numerous puddles, make yourself alert to oncoming vehicles. Carefully analyse which direction these vehicles are coming from and make a safe and quick move and save yourself from becoming a victim of such monsoon attacks. I doubt I need to warn you to carry an umbrella at all times, as you are familiar with the unpredictable weather that can trick you at any time. But this is one suggestion that some may not be aware of. So stay alert and enjoy the cool days the monsoon brings. Happy Monsoon!






PUBLISHED IN THE KATHMANDU POST - JULY 12 2010

2 comments:

nepaliketi said...

haha - the puddles and being splashed is SUCH a pain. i've just given up on looking "presentable" through the season.

instead, i wear shorts (NOT hotpants, that's different : ) and flip flops. that way whenever you get on campus/destination you've only to wash off your feet of the visible grime.

not a perfect solution, but i've bigger concerns - like the frizz monsters taking control of my world!

Anonymous said...

nepali keti: umm....lucky you didi...i have been SPLASHED!! several times...