What’s Wrong With My Name?

Aug 3, 2010
What’s Wrong With My Name?



It’s yours but is used by others – your name.

I am often told, "You need to change your name! It’s really hard to pronounce it."

I had no hand in naming myself so, and I never have any problem with my name. The only problem I face - and continue to face - is that I turn crimson everytime I have to introduce myself. This is because people don’t get my name the first time, and a huge laughter follows.

I am not depressed when people pronounce my name wrong, instead I feel sympathy for them. Many of them ask me what my name stands for. Only about two out of a hundred pronounce my name correctly. I am proud of this unique name and want to thank my late grandfather for naming me so.

When I was 13, I used to wonder if I was the only one with this name in the universe. But I was excited to learn that there were quite a few with my name in India and Bangladesh.

Having a long unique name is troublesome when you have to introduce yourself to others as many cannot understand or memorise it in one go. The other problem you may face is when engraving your name on a key ring. If you are a player, the problem could appear while preparing a jersey. And, for those who mind, your name can give rise to various nicknames, as in my case like Dahi Pan, Dahi Pani, Dahi Pan Parag, Dahi Bada.


But the best part of having a unique name is you really don’t need your last name to identify yourself. Once people get your first name, they hardly forget it. You receive lots of love through nicknames. If you are a guy, there will be plenty of girls who will tease you with the name.

When I was in school, I never wanted to get promoted to the next class simply because of my name. My new teacher would never get my name the first time I said it. And all my friends would wait to make fun of me. This made me nervous, and my face turned red.

But today I find it wonderful that these old friends, whom I have not seen or met for the last ten years, still remember me and say, "Man! It’s great to find your writing in the papers!" Wow! What could be a greater compliment than this? At a time when they don’t even remember the names of other class mates, they recognise me.

PUBLISHED IN THE RISING NEAL (AUG 2)

4 comments:

kobid timsina said...

Well brother,

I too have similar story about my poor Name !
What a misery, sometime i am pronounced as Kuber (icon of wealth), sometime Kuwait (Middle east country), and i come closer to none. Nor i have that grandeur of wealth neither american occupation or an Iraqi attack :), i try to re-pronounce my name and then i am called Kabir (great saint) i feel shy for it, Kabir and me? we are more far as we travel as we travel in opposite direction, saint Kabir and ignorant Kobid, uff ..... i just try to run and bump on another fool just to introduce me again and pronounce my name minimum thrice !

It and then brings me disadvantages, people remembering my peculiar name and me failing to remember theirs, Miss frequently written in front of my name in business correspondence reply uff....

So one day, I added all Kobid of fb, (added more then 30 i think) but i must admit only a few of them are active internet users, if any Kobid read this please add me in fb ! :)

Dwaipayan said...

But there's always best thing in having unique name! And it make us feel special!
Dwaipayan

meha said...

same story with my name some call me me-ha some Megha some Medha ,Neha ...and it is really irritating when you are repeating your name and others are not getting it right.I always wish that nobody with the names i mentioned above exist in my new class to avoid confusions.But the advantage is that your name becomes your trade mark .

Dwaipayan said...

@meha: exactly, there are lot of troubles, confusions and fun making issues...but in the end, it's a trademark! a brand!!!