The write way

Sep 30, 2011
Writing is not my job, it's my hobby. People ask me how I am able to write on such interesting topics and why newspapers publish my mini articles frequently. "I have tried so many times, but they never publish my articles. Why?" they ask me. They even show me their writings and ask me if they are good enough to be published. How can I answer such questions? I am not an editor. But here's the truth about how I began writing which aspiring authors might find helpful.

I began writing in Class 6. I used to look for interesting facts on the Web and write about them and mail the article to a local newspaper. Later, I started writing letters to the editor of various newspapers. Every time one of my letters got published, I became more encouraged. This went on for around three years, and I started writing longer articles. It was not that I wrote to earn
money. The truth is that I had no idea that I would get paid for my writings. I used to write simply because I loved writing. When I found out that I could get money for my writings, I began to write with extra enthusiasm. For example, if you love playing cricket, it's not necessary for you to get paid for playing; but when you get paid, that makes it even better.

For those who really want to write, here are a few suggestions that might be useful. First, you have to read more and more. The more you read other people's writings, the broader will be your knowledge of writing style and topics to write on. So pick an unique, interesting topic. The subject must attract your readers. After selecting the topic, compose the introduction and then the body where your theme must be included. Provide conclusions at the end which can be what you feel about your topic.

Now if you think that you must be good in grammar to write, think again! MS Word is the software that makes your grammar perfect. And you are not presenting information about the topic, but your views. For example, if you are writing about apples and you write that they are red in colour, have a round shape and are tasty, and end the article by mentioning that they grow in the hilly region, everyone knows that. But if you were to present your thoughts like apples would be more popular if they were a bit salty in taste and that even though Humla and Jumla produce a lot of apples, they are not being properly utilised, you may be able to hold your readers' attention. Many wannabe writers get frustrated when their first article gets rejected. I consider the article "not up to the mark" and write another. To let everyone know, only two out of 10 of my writings get published. So don't lose hope for such minor reasons. All of you have potential. So try a little harder. All the best!
PUBLISHED IN THE KATHMANDU POST SEP 30,2011
--

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yaa i agreed with you . one should read other's writing too inorder to learn the different style of writing . people must not get frustrated if their articles are not published coz remember world's famous HARRY POTTER get rejected so many times before being published .imagination is powerful so think more and write more . make mistakes and learn more coz a person who never made mistake have never tried anything new.
nice article with simple writing and selection of words but there's a space to improve . the more u write the more u become perfect . keep writing . god bless u
ANJANA TIMILSINA