Who are Beggars?

Mar 9, 2012
Who are Beggars?
The word begs means asking humbly (food or money) as charity; and beggars are the persons who live by begging.
Since early days there has been the system of begging from Rishi Munis till the day. We get a feeling of satisfaction when we give them some small part of their earning. Today the imaginary pictures of beggars around temple come to our mind when we try to remember them, but have we ever noticed who really deserve the word beggars? We simply give away the money on anyone who comes near us. But let’s make an analysis even those who are physically fit, sit and beg and those who are lame also beg. Those small children beg and also those old women beg. From a normal view, all of them are beggar but who really deserves for the title?
Do we still get the satisfaction after giving them few coins out of our pocket? For the lame ones, we get but for those children maybe not because our five rupees will not make their life. There are lots of Government institutes which provide free education; but no one dares to talk to them about it. We simply go for temporary satisfaction and for those physically fit beggars? Maybe we are promoting their laziness and motivating not to do the job and keep begging. It would be wise to drop coins for those really beggars who really cant see, unable to walk and are creeping, whose hands are gone off and who really cant do anything in their life.
However we can discover a new system of begging in the capital these days. It was few months back when my friend and I, we were walking and a physically active guy with all smart dress came to ask and claimed that his sister was in hospital and he really needs money and made a request to give him three hundred with his crying face. It was my friend who managed it in fifty. We could not believe that he was speaking truth and nor were we satisfied by lending him the money. Same thing happened weeks back when the Hindi speaking lady came to me when I was on my way to college and showed a dirty laminated document and said she really was in need of money. Ah! I was in hurry and couldn’t not read it, all the people around were staring at me. She was asking for hundred and I managed for twenty claiming I am just student and the case got over. Same dissatisfaction rose within me and I could not believe that she really was in trouble. Week back two guys came and threatening my friend asked for the money A guy asked first asked me the way to Bhaktapur from Putalisadak, I suggested him to take a bus, because it is kind of far. He then said, he don’t have money for that and he is new to Kathmandu. His English speaking lines time and again made me feel that he seriously need it. With some sympathy, I gave him twenty rupees, and I was satisfied. Month later same guy caught my friend, and did the same thing claiming he is from Illam. Now, when I asked entire detail, I concluded that it was same him. Let me again include another style of begging, popular in those tourism area. On our way to Ghandruk, we found small children asking money from very beginning to the end of the trekking route. On our return, since we had time, we asked to one of the children and found that it is their parents who teach them to beg.
This sort of trend not only troubles the true beggars but develops wrong system of earning money. It would turn best if Government makes an attempt to recognize true beggar and hand them true certificate. It would turn fruitful if Government takes initiative to make true reorganization of who really require money so that donors can get the satisfaction after making the donation. Although Hitler used to opine that, beggars should be killed if the country has to prosper, that can be something against humanity, although certain truth can be noted in his lines. But, the growing trend of begging and not working with whole heart shows that the increment of lazy peoples, whose aim is nothing but simply to beg is increasing gradually. I am not against the beggar, nor do I want the donor to be against them. But, it is just that a fit and fine man, sitting in some torn dress, and expanding the hands is not the way to be beggar in my view. Those who really cannot do anything are the ones who are liable for the task. I really get negative feelings when I drop my coins in their plate, seeing that they are fine. Unemployment can be one reason, I do agree. But, their living style shows that they really don’t want to work, but just beg. On my visit to Pasupati, time and again I see a group who sings sitting at beggar’s line. I find that they are physically unable for anything. Yes, they need our support, and they are not demanding anything for free. They have been impressing us through their songs. That can motivate us to hand some money to them, but not those physically strong people. Let us make true recognition of beggars and help those who are actually in need.
PUBLISHED IN THE NEW PAPER

No comments: