My Journey of Human Rights

Feb 18, 2015

Amnesty International – That was some just a news term for me before. I knew it was all about Human Rights, but not aware in detail.

Management student are barely into something extra unless they are interested, or have some reasons to be there. Back, when I was in 3rd Semester, on one literary Amrit Dhakal gave me the form of Amnesty International Youth Membership. Yes, I filled it and with great hopes submitted it. However, I could not involve myself much. I went to Human Rights Training Program and then I understood where I belonged to.
After returning back, I opened a separate youth network, basically focusing management students. It was Guru Khanal who inspired me for that. I did it, and it was not that difficult either. However, the difficult job was looking for Vice Coordinator, who had to be female. Gaurab Koirala introduced me to Jayanti Joshi then. And then, we went together.
We opened the youth network, and tried to move ahead. Human Rights went deeper inside my blood gradually with every new things I learnt from Human Rights.
Zealousy
There is the trend of zealous everywhere. You do something I tried my best to stay out of those factors who would pull the leg. So, this is the first thing that I learnt. Once you do something good, or being above others, there are people who are zealous. This zealousy would mean only if you are really concerned about it, if you don’t care and move ahead, or act as if you would not know anyone there, your path won’t be obstructed.

Biasness
There is biasness in every sector, I tried myself not to get discouraged for not having known peoples in the power by staying out of opportunities to explore. Biasness and prioritizing near and dear ones can be something natural in developing countries.

Corruption
There is greed in every sector, I tried myself not to get involved into any corruption. I made the decision to charge Rs 20 high from members, but never made any misuse of it. I never touched the money of the Network. In the end, AGM was successful even without my presence. The invited guests got some token of love too. And that token of love is to be understood as the value that our members gave to everyone.

Unanswered Questions
-          When AI can spend such a huge amount on Youth Mela, why can’t it fund for some good cause? It would at least motivate youths! Statements like ‘If you don’t have the money, don’t do the program’, is a total humiliation.

-          Why can’t AI Nepal focus on giving Human Rights Training to Youth Members? AI Nepal has boosting line on the number of membership. But, on my personal research itself, they did not know anything about Human Rights. They have been speaking about Human Rights without having any idea at all. They even are not aware that there are 30 articles in UDHR. It should be the task of coordinator of makes them known, but where is the support?



Youth in Board 2016
So, Amnesty has this provision of Youth in Board by 2016. I can see lot of chocolates serving tendency from the very beginning. There are peoples who try to impress wrong people through their works. There are again people who try to impress right people through their work, but those peoples have something else in their mind. But, I view, Youth Representative in Board must be kept in a democratic manner through the number of votes per youth network.
National Youth Advisory Panel (NYAP)’s selection process is a real shame from my view that supports  all the nepotism. This has to be changed as well, else that new youth member will never be motivated to work on it. I never understood on what basis it is selected, and on what criteria they are evaluated. Had there been provision of 'voting'.

Pride of Board Members
I find it totally amazing to see the ego within the past and present board members. They try to act as if they were Peter Benenson in front of youths. They compare themselves with those in abroad, and state what youths in America did, or in UK did. Ahh! Even the senior member donates large sum of money in those country, what has these board members done? They stay as member paying Rs 250, and talk as if they are the founder of Amnesty International. Amnesty International is not their candle, if they don’t want to burn, there are others who will take care of it, and their absence will not mean any thing. Not all of them are same though.
 
Dirty Politics
Politics is everywhere. But Amnesty International is regarded as temple. And politics here does not suit. One must come with volunteering feeling. They must not have personal objectives, and like Fayol states in his principle, subordination of individual interest to group interest.


Best Platform for learning and developing
There are bad things revolving, but one must seek the positive side of it. This is the best platform for learning discipline, organizing, leading, coordinating and decision making. Unlike other platform, it is still cheapest way to get involved in an INGO. No pressures around, and no any pocket money reduction except your personal stuffs. You can start your youth activism from here. Best thing is, it is specialized, as it does not look after blood donation program, and is only focused on Human Rights. You can learn a lot from here.

Social Life
It is not that you have negative aspects itself. You get a social life. You are student of management, how would you be aware about what is happening in Kathmandu University’s Art course? Or, how would you know that there is some event at Kathmandu School of Law? You do gain a social life. You have a different society apart from your class and family where you can hang out.

Learning Experience
You get to learn something that you would never learn else wise. You know life from different perspective. You will know how your single voice will make a difference, and mean in the long run. You will know weight of your own voice power.

Fun


Youth is fun seeking? And when youths gather, there is fun of course. This is best encouraging thing will keep you alive in these sectors.


Knowing peoples
The best thing that I learnt in this journey was recognizing peoples. Some peoples tried to climb mountain of sand, as if that was Mt Everest. Some people played their diplomatic role. Some people tried to support, some people never were concerned. Some people were so much self centered, that they would do anything for their personal benefit in the name of Youth Network. Some were opportunistic. I guess these are the peoples of real world too.


Unfulfilled Dreams
I had this dream of giving Human Rights knowledge to youth members from my youth network. Sometimes, due to low budget, and sometimes because of other diversifying factors, this went unfulfilled. At least, I wanted to make sure that youth members from my youth network would know what Human Rights is. They would at least not speak in favor of Death Penalty.


Two wheel
It was not possible for me alone to run the network. And in these recent days, I would have no idea if Vice Coordinator would not coordinate. We probably did not appear in the same program at any time together. We could not attend Youth Mela together, and we could not organize something together. It had to be either her, or me. So, she conducted the program when I was not able to do it, she did everything in my absence. And best of all, under her chairmanship the AGM was done. No one can say that the Coordinator was centralized hereby. I asked to her about every decisions, and informed  her too.

Thanks
I must thank to all those who were with me in the run. Guru Khanal, he is the one who motivated me to open up new youth network. Amrit Dhakal is the person who brought me into Amensty. Ram Dai, Deepa you people are always thankful for supporting me. Rameshwor Sir, Shraddha Mam, thank you for being supportive. Jayanti, thank you for being with me throughout this journey.
Thank You Lhakpa and Kanchan dai for being icon in Amnesty International Youth Network for me. I could not see you in Amnesty, but through the words around, I could visualize the working pattern there.
And yes, Thank You Group 43, who bears the sole responsibility of making me aware about what Human Rights actually is.

Apologies
Sorry if I did not make you happy during these two years. I tried my best not to be corrupt, and tired my best not to support nepotism. I tried myself to be honest and sincere. Still, if I did any thing to hurt your emotions, or ego. I am sorry!

Best Wishes
My best wishes to the new team. Soni, new Coordinator and Nishant, new Vice Coordinator. I tried my best to make this youth network, and now I am handing it in the hand of you peoples. I hope you will take it further. I also promise not to interfere in any decisions that you people make, but I will be always ready to support and guide and do what ever I can for this Youth Network at any time.





 
Membership
Ahh! My membership is no more valid. I need to renew it when I am back to Kathmandu!

-           


2 comments:

Aakankshya said...

*zealously? -jealousy
Thank you for the sharing the real experience. The challenges are visible and hence, this piece of writing is motivational. "When AI can spend such a huge amount on Youth Mela, why can’t it fund for some good cause?" -It's still unanswered :( However, it does fund for some causes but trumpets responsibilities of youths for resource generation - absurd! Thank you for acknowledging Group-43.
-Aakankshya

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot pandit..