The Fulbari Mela

Jun 16, 2010
The Fulbari Mela





Iwas on my way home in eastern Nepal for the Nepalese New Year in mid-April. The time was round 10 in the morning when I saw a bid crowd of people at Lahan through the window of my bus. I asked the person sitting next to me who kept chattering a little more than was necessary what it was. He said that it was a fair. When I enquired why so many people were gathering at the scene, he said that many more people would be coming from around midday.

"Well!" I asked, "what is the occasion for so many people to gather at this place?" He said that they were there to see a flower in bloom. I was confused and my face showed surprise. He then added, it is because the flower blooms only once a year. It blooms on the Nepali New Year’s Day (around mid-April) and that too for just three hours - from noon to three in the afternoon!

From the window, he pointed to a small forest on the roadside and told me that the flower is found in the middle of the jungle. The villagers are making their way to the jungle solely to have a glimpse of that flower, he said.

I found it hard to believe my fellow passenger until a woman on my side said that she herself had gone there once to see the flower.

I wanted to know what the name of the fair was. The passenger said, "The Fulbari Mela!"

If this is the case, are we doing anything to promote the event for Nepal Tourism Year scheduled for next year? I coming from eastern Nepal itself was unaware about the place until two months back. And I wonder how many of us know about it! Simply highlighting a few exciting places will not make Nepal Tourism Year successful.

When ordinary people themselves are unaware about the various sites and interesting places, how will they inform foreigners? It’s good to know that we are rich in all kinds of resources. It is, however, a pity that we are unable to manage our resources and bring it to the notice of both local and international visitors. That a flower should bloom only on the first of Baisakh (first month of the Nepalese calendar) every year and only from noon to three in the afternoon… that is amazing.

PUBLISHED IN THE RISING NEPAL IN JUNE 14 2010

No comments: