Going for the mix up

Apr 9, 2011

Going for the mix up


It's good when one doesn't need to stand in a queue for anything.

I was really happy to find out the `token' system in various banks, government offices and other places. One needs to simply get the coupon or token from a dispenser, and wait peacefully till your number is called out or digitally displayed. The system definitely needs appreciation as it removes the irritating trend of standing in a queue in front of the relevant counter.

The digitalized system doesn't require you inquire frequently whether your turn has come. The digital display screen shows the your number when your turn comes. This system really is wonderful and requires appreciation.

However, the mismanagement of this service makes the system irritating as well as frustrating. Let me trace an incident that I faced some time back. I took the coupon as soon as I reached the bank, and then filled the deposit slip and had to wait for my turn to come. I sat down in one of the chairs to relax. There was a queue there as well. I was confused. At that instant I saw a man come, fill in the deposit slip and stood in the queue and his job was done, while I kept on waiting for my turn to arrive. My fury made me stand in the queue.

All of a sudden, another man came with his coupon saying it was his turn, and he got the chance. I wondered about the system. I felt really frustrated; and I am sure anyone there would be. Either the bank had to follow the coupon system or the queue system.
How can it bank of the use of both the systems.

Finally, it was my turn and handed my coupon to the teller. Although my work was done, I was not satisfied with the simultaneous us of the old and new way.

Maybe we are still in the transitional phase. We haven't got over with the old one and the new technique enters.
The confusion seems to exist not only for the users but also for the service providers. Is it a competition?
Going for the coupon system must be a leap forward by the bank management. But, only if the transactions were to be performed as per the coupon basis! It's not that I abhor the queue system, both the coupon and standing in the queue at the same time is out of comprehension.

That's just one side of the story.


THIS ARTICLE WAS PUBLISHED IN THE HIMALAYAN TIMES (2011,APRIL 4)

No comments: