Election Commission’s Ignorance…

Nov 18, 2013

I was kind of confused, when Election Commission declared that the vote would be allowed from Voters Identity Card, Citizenship, Driving License, Passports and any other Government issued legal documents where the photo is kept. I was really frustrated hearing this, later I got to know that the information I got was not clear; things like Citizenship, Driving License, Passports and any other legal documents would be actually accepted in case if the voters don’t get the voters identity card! I was still not satisfied, but consoled myself reminding those places of Nepal, where it might take days to reach the place of distribution.

I was then frustrated towards Election Commission, why had they done this task this late? Issuing the cards, just few days before election was actually shameful!
I had checked my name earlier in the website of Election Commission sometimes back, and, I went to receive my Voters Identity Card. To my surprise, I did not find my name there at the place of distribution! I tried to enquire people there, where security person obstructed me, saying it was my fault. I did not hesitate to argue with him for my rights.

‘You are not allowed to get in here’
‘Why? I am just for inquiry!’ I replied.
‘Go and get into the line!’
‘I don’t have my name there, and you are talking of line?’
‘No! I am here to provide security, you are not allowed in here!’
‘I said, I am just for inquiry, and I am not creating any obstacle for your security!’
‘I can’t let you in!’
‘Look sir! I don’t have my name included there, and you are asking me for something stupid! Be logical!’
‘If you don’t have name, you can’t vote! That’s it!’
‘What? And now, you are to say me to vote or not? You are here to provide security, not to guide citizens! How can I trust you? Tomorrow you may say whom to vote… ‘
My voice was creating some noise, and I could see him getting flexible.
‘Okay sir, but if you don’t have name, what can we do?’
‘I am not asking you to do anything; I just want to know what should I do, because my name is there in voter’s list, but not here!’

So, he allowed me to make inquiry. And my name was not there, so I had no cards too. I rushed to Election Commission Office of Biratnagar, and there were several peoples like me with same troubles.
Election Commission probably had enough time; it was there carelessness that they delayed the task. It was just before 10 days they sent the card to get printed. They obviously had enough budgets too. Their carelessness is the prime cause for this!

And, at the time, when at other countries, this card plays important role, the temporary voter’s identity card is shameful. No quality and not of proper size, showed that entire drama they were doing since last three years was all for the corruption!
I got the card late! Really late in fact, just before the day of election. It was just that when my dad expressed my card missing to one of the Party Member, he suggested me to go to next place, where there could be my name.

I then came to know that, Election Commission had made the decision of keeping two Voting Centers at my Region. I had no Idea, and my card was at the next voting center, of whose I had no idea. The peoples involved there could at least tell me, that there can be my name in another center. They ignored that too…

Anyways, it’s now for sure… I’ll take part in election!

No comments: