My Answer

Dec 4, 2013
When I was small, there used to be an exercise question: `Write down the names of five fruits that you know'. I used to write apple, mango, papaya, guava, pear etc. After writing, the teacher used to grant me full marks allocated for the question.



This thing was set in my mind till the last few days. However, the suggestions that I received a few days back made me think on the contrary. The suggestion was that if I was asked the characteristics of a community, I first needed to define the community and then list down the characteristics. That meant that if I am asked “Write down the names of five fruits.“ I first needed to ex plain the meaning of `fruit', and then list them to grab the allocated marks.

In Western education system, the professors suggest writing what has been asked, not what you know. Like if they ask what is the study of animal called, the answer has to be simply `zoology' to get the allocated marks.

But when it comes to the Nepali context, they want the answers like... The study of animals is called zoology. It is the scientific study of behavior, structure, physiology, classification and distribution of animals. This draws the line among teachers and students. If I was asked to build a house with two rooms, I would at once do that, but I guess these so-called `professors' would build a house, prepare a garden, care for the walls and gate as well.

The impression is what they seek for, and this impression seeking attitude has actually been giving priority to quantity instead of quality. I remember my marketing teacher come up with the unique idea that I need not mention what the experts said. Like, it is of no use inserting Kotler's definition somewhere in the answer if I am asked `What is marketing?' I was previously taught to keep the expert's definition everywhere as possible.

Now, this was the difference between my teachers earlier and the present. And it has put me in confusion. It is understandable that views and opinions differ from one individual to another.
And I can understand that no two indviduals are compelled to think in the same way. The teachers are expected to maintain their place and position.

They really don't possess any right to confuse the students.

They need to speak about what are genuine rather than their personal feelings and choices.

Impressions should really not count at the time of grading answers. If impression is what they seek for, I would take twelve pens of different colors and answer the questions making use of all these colours. If someone asks me, `Do you smoke?' I would simply say `No' instead of explaining every bad aspect of smoking. What would you do?

Published in The Himalayan Times, under Topics of December 4, 2013



1 comment:

Subhasini Shrestha said...

Talking about school days, or lets just say college days, I remember scoring less cause it did not copy the same words as the teacher asked us to. Was dumbfounded to hear such answer from a teacher! The basic concept is to understand, if you know what it is, its right.

And for that question of yours. 'No' would have been the best answer rather then the explanation. :)