My Summer

Apr 18, 2016




It was not that this is my first experience of summer. I had faced highest of 40 degree when I was in Lucknow for few days. Apart, Biratnagar is not a cool place to stay either. The temperature goes high like hell there as well. To make things worse, load shedding keeps the fan away, and if you are addicted to AC, it's tough for you to resist.


My school was roughly 20 minutes of cycle ride from my home. There were schools nearby, but I didn't want to change my school. I had to go riding 20 minutes. Morning cycle ride was fine, but after noon ride after 4 was tough. I would be all sweaty once I was back.

My Kathmandu stay changed my habit. I was addicted to cool temperature. And, now I am in this place, where increasing death numbers happens to be news because of the hot temperature. Till the date, I have written this blog post, 18 deaths are recorded in Andhra Pradesh because of excessive hot. 

Last year, the summer was late, and we didn't had to face it. But, this year, it's month early creating tough scenes. I must call myself lucky, because I don't have to go to college three days, as I have privilege of staying back at my hostel  and work for my project.

Describing college days, I have to be there at 9.30. That itself is tough, the bus is hot, and being in bus makes me feel like an egg, which is kept in the pot to boil. Or potato. There are enough fans in the class, but things are tough, because of number of students, it's hot. We don't have load shedding here, we must be lucky. But sometimes when power goes off, we can feel our cloths wet.

We return back at around 4.30 from our college, and that's the time when temperature turns out to be highest. Oh, we try to escape the second half of college as much as we could.

During the days, when we don't go to college, we stay under the fan throughout the day. But, after midday, everything hot, even the air of fan. It's warm. I don't like staying in the room after lunch at all. There's corridor, where we get to feel slow wind passing by, there's where I stay these days, trying to escape summer.
Fan in my room! The air is hot!

Once it's midday, the sun gets away and then we can spend our whole day here.
One good thing about South India is they give you curd in your lunch and dinner. This makes us cool, but we won't be satisfied. We therefore try to steal packet of curd, and bring it to room to have mohi. That makes our stomach cool. We somehow manage to drink cool water. Else, the water would be too hot.
'Bring an egg, keep it in water and place it here, it'll be boiled', this is how we joke. But we never tried.
We do have AC in our room, but that has been provided under limitation. They give us 140 units for single room, and we have to manage the AC doing entire calculations. Ahh, your laptop, mobile everything gets heated more than usual.

We made it this day too~ We stole the curd packet

And here we make our mohi!
 
The thing that makes it further worse is, you don't want to eat anything. You are hungry, but once you are in front of your plate, you don't want to have anything. Strange vibes appear. I take around 6-8 liters of water everyday. Once I am back after bathing, it takes just few minutes to dry and sweat to regain the shape.


I then end up thinking those Nepalese immigrant workers, who work under 50 degree, at those Gulf Nations. I stay numb.

No comments: