12.01.2072

May 2, 2015
I was in my class planning to bunk next class. At 12 noon, my classmate got a call, stating there was earthquake in
Kathmandu.
I thought it was simple one, but when another friend checked his Facebook timeline, he told it was 7.9! Twitter was loaded with the tweets stating Dharahara fell down. How can we believe, because there was no anything authentic thereby. Pictures of Dharahara started appearing, we still did not believe stating it must be edited.


Later when photos started coming through official sources of Dharahara, few broken buildings, torn roads, we had to believe it. What could we do besides calling our family members back in K Town? We tried our best to make calls, but were unsuccessful. How could we even have lunch properly at that situation? I don’t remember eating, but yes, I remember watching news from Star News in my hostel mess.

Getting updated with social media was the only option. I was trying to see updated news through few trustworthy portals, but were not successful. Those portals were not updated. I was trying continuously to call my family. My friends had followed lot of news channel in twitter, I was in his room watching his timeline.
My friends all had contacted with their family members, and were saying everything was fine. I finally got call from my sister saying everything is fine. I was happy, and very happy. I almost burst into tears. I could now think of other peoples. I could talk to Roman Pandey, my college friend in twitter. I could talk to other peoples. I called thulo mamus to know if they were safe. They were too.

I knew I was hungry, but I could not eat anything. None of the parts of my body wanted anything. It would have been okay if that was the only shock, but there were other shocks too. Every time I heard the news of shock, I called to my sister. We went down to watch news channel. Nepal 1 used to be such channel that I’d never watch back when I was in Nepal. It was the only way to get updated here. Again, there were Indian news channel showing the footages from NTV and KTV.

I heard the news that could be rumor like
                Prime Minister was informed by minister of different country about the state of Nepal during the transit.
                India sent helping troops to Nepal, but because Nepal Government could not yet grant permission, so they were still in air.

I got my classmate tweeting, ‘kehi garna sakidaina’, that touched me! I would never see these category of peoples when I was in Nepal. But, after seeing these tweets,  I wanted to return back to Nepal, right then and do something! How could I even get tickets?

There were shocks in the night too. I was tired, I tried to sleep. But how could I? I kept on opening twitter throughout the night to check updates! There were lot of aftershocks.
As soon as it was morning, I called my sister. She was safe!


No comments: