My Bungo's Pickle

Oct 25, 2013


So this is going to be something crazy post this time. After I made the tweet regarding Bungo Ko Achar; there were many confusions regarding it. Few of them had tasted this, few of them had no idea what Bungo is all about! So, here I am today… as a chef… guiding how to make Bungo Ko Achar.
First of all, you need to have banana tree in your house! I hope you wont stop reading now, because you don’t have it. I am lucky to have it in my own house though'. Lucky Me!! Else, you need to ask someone for it. What is Bungo?? Have a look at the picture below the triangular ball like thing hanging there. I don’t know what they call it in English though'.



So, you need to cut this thing. It is going to decay even if you don’t in the tree itself, and end up. People usually let it go, and just care about the banana. So, after the bananas are over, this thing can be cut down. Have a look how it actually looks! 

Now, this is small piece. I was home late, and it almost escaped. So, I am planning to put it with potato. I love potato anyway, and I love mixing it with potato. You can however do it all alone. So, let me put it in the pressure cooker. Both potatoes and Bungo can get ready at the same time and then. Here I put it.


 After few sitthis of around three to four; I let it cool down. Then I take out both bungo and potatoes out. Oh, they are still hot! I need to wait for some down so that they can cool and I can take out the peels. 


Here it goes, I now take out the peels of both bungo and potatoes. I did not suppose it would get this small. I thought it would be for two meals, but seems like it is going to end up in one single meal. Okay, here are the skinless bungoes and potatoes.



Now, I cut it down into pieces. Actually it is easy now, it is simply like making potato's pickle now.


















So, here it goes. I put til, beshar, amilo, oil and salt. You can add chilly, but none of other family members prefer chilly, so, how can I receive 'wow' if I put chilly? After all, when you cook, nothing tastes best than other's appreciation for your food.



Now, mixing entire things makes the pickle ready! Want to taste? I would let you free taste if blogger would provide the service… Hmm… or you can go through two ways… Either prepare it of your own following my steps, or else, you are invited to my home, Biratnagar, at the time when there's banana, to have the taste. Ohh! There is one more bungo hanging in my banana garden! Or else, you have no option besides expecting someone to offer you this. Why don’t you come my home rather? Let's together prepare the next bungo's pickle!!



I know you probably have ideas of making it better too. Do suggest me! Like I said earlier, I have got another bungo lined up...




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Pretty easy! Looks yummy :)

Aakriti said...

bungo vanyaa k tyo thaa nai navaera po ta! else it seems easy..aloo ko achar banaa jastai ta raixa ....ty !

Dwaipayan said...

@anandeeta: yeah' it's easy... i am not a good cook, just a learning...you know guys...ali kati kei garyo vane k k na garya jasto :p

@aakriti: yeah' tha bho? we call it 'bungo'...what do you call? maybe the language differs... we call lizard 'vitti', maybe you call it 'mausuli'